array processors and unix

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Sun Jan 27 08:26:40 AEST 1985

> What it will take to get FPS to support UNIX.
>         3)  UNIX being what it is, most UNIX AP customers are more able, if
> 	    not willing, to write their own software.  (I believe, there is
> 	    also a San Diego firm that will supply UNIX software for the AP,
> 	    called AP-UNIX.)
> 				J. Wong / ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

	Last address I had for Apunix Computer Services was 1380 Garnet
Ave, Suite E-292, San Diego, CA 92109 (619)-452-7819, contact person; Peter
Berens.  Their stuff looks good on paper (driver, compiler, assembler,
debugger, emulator, user library, etc), but I havn't actually used it yet.
Does anybody have hands-on experience with Apunix software on an FPS AP?

	It seems to me that if FPS is relying on people to "roll their
own", they may be fooling themselves.  True, Unix hackers are really into
this sort of stuff, but I don't know too many people that would plunk down
$40-200K for hardware, and then roll up their sleeves to write a driver,
compiler, assembler, user library, etc. before they could use it.
--
allegra!vax135!timeinc\
   cmcl2!rocky2!cubsvax>!phri!roy  (Roy Smith)

The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not necessarily
reflect the views of The Public Health Research Institute.