array processors and unix

Jonathan Wong wong at rtech.ARPA
Thu Jan 24 19:11:47 AEST 1985

What it will take to get FPS to support UNIX.

Having worked at FPS I can over some enlightenment in regard to the UNIX issue.
What it will take is some customer (or customers), who is willing to by several
APs (> $200,000), and say to FPS, "Unless you support UNIX, no deal."  Merely
complaining will not do it, you must back it up with the promise of a large
sale.  (This is typical behavior of all corporations.)

Still there are enough UNIX AP customers to make it profitable for them to
support UNIX without the carrot and stick approach, right?  Yes, probably.
But after having tried to convince them of this fact, and the fact that UNIX
would be a better software development environment, I left to find a more
progressive atmosphere in which to work.  (Believe it or not, all their
software, micro-code assemblers, linkers, and even FORTRAN compiler is still
written in FORTRAN, although some recent products have been written in Ratfor,
and that was a major battle!)  So, here are the reasons why I think FPS has
an aversion to UNIX:

	1)  The majority of FPS's business is with customers who have
	    proprietary operating systems (IBM MVS, CMS; DEC VMS, etc.)

	2)  None of the major computer manufacturers (i.e., IBM and DEC, etc.)
	    support UNIX in a major way.

        3)  UNIX being what it is, most UNIX AP customers are more able, if
	    not willing, to write their own software.  (I believe, there is
	    also a San Diego firm that will supply UNIX software for the AP,
	    called AP-UNIX.)

	4)  The president of the company views UNIX with a definite anathema
	    (the reasons of which I will not go into, except to say that they
	    are emotional.)

--

				J. Wong

				ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong