shell compiler available

David Brown david at varian.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 07:39:05 AEST 1985

Several times in the past folks have asked if there was anything
that could translate a shell script into C code so that it would run
faster.  The answer has usually been that you write shell scripts
when you want to get an application going quickly; if you are concerned
about speed, then you write in C.  In the latest issue of CommUNIXation
(the publication of /usr/group), there is a press release about a
product that translates Bourne shell scripts to C.  I have no idea
how well it works, cost, availability, etc. (and no connection to the
company), but I thought folks might be interested in hearing that it
was available (i.e. this is an announcement, not an ad).   I would
be interested in hearing comments from anyone who has used it, or
has investigated the approach in the past and come up with some major
pitfalls.

It's called shacc (shell accelerator). From the release: "Features of
shacc included resistance to piracy, efficient use of shared text and
the sticky bit, and effective code use with setuid files".  Available
from:
	Concentric Associates Inc.
	One Harmon Plaza
	Secaucus, NJ 07094
	(201) 866-2880

--
	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598