mail to .uucp sites

James M. Galvin galvin at udel-dewey.ARPA
Fri Jan 18 22:01:30 AEST 1985

> all of the usenet mail we've been seeing seems to have switched over to the
> "domain name style" addressing.  what used to be "foo!bar!you" is now
> "you at bar.UUCP".  unfortunately, those of us who are not on usenet or uucp have
> difficulty in responding to messages with those addresses; with the old
> (explicit) addressing, all we had to do was to send the message with the full
> pathname through a gateway machine.  is there any way of achieving the same
> thing with the new style addresses?

Well, we are also an ARPA site, and Bboard messages do not have an
appropriately "munged" address for us.  However, mail is easily responded
to by changing the '@' to a '%' and appending '@brl-tgr.ARPA' to the address.
Thus, your example becomes "you%bar..UUCP at brl-tgr.ARPA".