Csh substitution

liberte at uiucdcs.UUCP liberte at uiucdcs.UUCP
Fri Jan 11 17:48:00 AEST 1985

/* Written  2:32 am  Jan 10, 1985 by liberte at uiucdcsp in uiucdcs:net.unix */
/* ---------- "Csh substitution" ---------- */

Inside a command substitution, I want to do a variable substitution but
not a filename expansion on the variable's value.  I cant seem to get one
without the other.  For example:
/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.unix */

Turns out there is a trivially easy solution.  Just set noglob before the
embedded command is executed to inhibit filename expansion.  In this case it
would work.  But suppose you wanted some combination of filename expansion
and no expansion within the same expression.  Pretend you couldnt use
noglob, just to make it interesting...

Some of you may notice a problem using "'"s within "`"s.  It seems that
the characters after a "'" are forgotten.

Dan
ihnp4!uiucdcs!liberte
liberte at uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA