TCP/IP software for VMS systems - query

C. Ian Connolly connolly at steinmetz.UUCP
Fri Jul 12 22:09:19 AEST 1985

> Can anyone feed me their experiences of running TCP/IP software on VMS.

My first suggestion is to avoid Gould's ACCESS software.  We have had quite
a few problems with it, most notably in the realm of mail.  After some small
number of messages, it dies and must be restarted.

We recently switched to Wollongong's software.  Two of our vaxen (that I
know of) run just the networking software, some others run full Eunice,
and 1 vax (this one) runs Ultrix.  We also have several suns and Lispms
on the same ethernet.  Wollongong's stuff works well, but is expensive (on
the order of $10-20K).  We can perform telnet, ftp, and smtp to just about
anything on the net (our Lispms barf on smtp).  We *have* had problems setting
up one of our vaxen as an arpanet/ethernet gateway, though - it seems we
can have one, or the other, but not both.  I'm not intimate with the details,
though.  I suspect it's our problem, not Wollongong's.
--
C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly at ge-crd