International UNIX

Andy Tannenbaum trb at masscomp.UUCP
Fri Jul 26 01:10:09 AEST 1985

I don't think it's necessary to hack up languages to allow funny
(uhm, international...) characters as variable names.  It is
important, though, to allow international character sets in the user
interface.  This is a totally different problem, and it's a problem
that Hewlett Packard seems to be addressing.  Within the past year,
there have been several articles in the HP Journal which address the
issues involved in the international software marketplace.  For
example, Wilson and Shaw, "Designing Software for the International Market,"
HP Journal Sept 1984 is an overview.  There have also been articles
which discussed sorting, hyphenation, spelling correction, maintaining
multi-language prompt-string databases, date formats, etc.

By the way, the HP Journal is free from HP, and often contains
interesting and timely information on their products and engineering.
It's nice to see a free publication which isn't useless.
I think you can get put on the list by mailing to

	HP Journal
	3000 Hanover Street
	Palo Alto, CA 94304 USA

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp  Westford, MA   (617) 692-6200 x274