International UNIX

Svante Lindahl zap at ttds.UUCP
Fri Jul 26 05:18:57 AEST 1985

["For you, for you, for you, I came for you" -- Bruce Springsteen, "For you"]

In article <93 at decvax.UUCP> minow at decvax.UUCP (Martin minow) writes:
>Keld Joern Simonsen suggests, probably with tongue in cheek,
>that C would be a useful programming languge if only European users
>could use their full national character set in identifiers.
>
>To my knowledge, no commercially available computer language --
>including a few developed in Scandinavia such as Algol 60 (for
>Trask and Besk), Algol-Genius (for the Datasaab machines) and
>Simula (for Dec PDP10s) permit national letters in variable
>names, so the marketplace hasn't exactly mandated their inclusion.

The PDP-10 Simula compiler does allow the lowercase national
characters { (a w/ umlaut, :a), | (o w/ umlaut, :o) and }
(a with a circle on top, Oa).

>Martin Minow (fil.kand. Stockholms Universitet)
>decvax!minow

Svante Lindahl (fil.kand. Stockholms Universitet)

--
Svante Lindahl, NADA, KTH (Dept of Numerical Analysis and Computer Science
			   at the Royal Institute of Technology)