$path vs $PATH

Ray Lubinsky rwl at uvacs.UUCP
Fri Jun 7 11:32:58 AEST 1985

> > Okay, UNIX gurus, can somebody tell me about the differences
> > (in csh) between the shell variable $path and the environment
> > variable $PATH ???
> > 	...tektronix!tekred!ronbe (Ron Bemis)
>
> 	My understanding is that only the format of the two variables
> is different, with both containing the same information, because
> csh automatically sets $PATH when you set $path.

   Furthermore, csh(1) automatically sets $path when you perform the command
"setenv $PATH".  As far as I can see, the major difference between $PATH and
$path is that the latter is really only a part of your csh(1) operating
environment.  $PATH is the variable that is understood inside of all programs,
being imported through the environment pointer and available through the
getenv(3) call.
--

Ray Lubinsky		     University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
			     uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!rwl