Problems with the 7300

Ross M. Greenberg greenber at timeinc.UUCP
Fri May 17 03:42:58 AEST 1985

In article <395 at rna.UUCP> dan at rna.UUCP ( Ts'o) writes:
>  ...                                                        For the price
>(which I think you have wrong, my impression is that with standard discounts
>it will be in the $4000 range), I think it is not bad, especially considering
>an okay window interface and integral phone modem.
>
>	I believe that you were misled at the demo by trying to do
>simultaneous logins on a loaded machine. ...
>
>...is worth considering, especially if (as someone else thought) the machine
>might be available to some for $3000.

<Sigh...>

There's a big difference to how *I* consider the machine for myself
and how I consider it as something that AT&T is trying to market to
corporate accounts.

Now the corporate accouts will not be getting the hefty and spiffy
developer discounts that were mentioned at UNI-Group.  They *may* get
some relatively modest volume discounts, if they buy enough machines
in one shot. So I figure that the $6000-$7000 price would probably
be what a Fortune 500 would pay for <5 machines. Remember: you have
to buy the operating system as an add-on!!!!

And, as a note, the machine that I had all my problems with was
set up multi-user, with no windowing environment (although I did try
that later.  I could have had dinner while waiting for the login
on the terminal to ask for my password!!)

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

	Timeinc probably wouldn't acknowledge my existence, and has
	opinions of its own.  I highly doubt that they would make me
	their spokesperson.
------
"If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other,
 there better be no trade. A trade by which one gains and the other
 loses is a fraud."         --- Dagny Taggart