Problems with the 7300

Ross Greenberg greenber at timeinc.UUCP
Thu May 9 10:46:09 AEST 1985

I just got back from a NY UniGroup meeting where I got to play
with the 7300.

Some impressions:

Very pretty.  It will look wonderful sitting on your desk.

Nice graphics, decent res.

Escaping to shell (or forking to vi) from
$ ls -lR / | more   (or ls -lR / | page)
barfs out.  Funny error messages, some endless loops, etc.
Looks like a piping problem.

Security needs to be beefed up (although somebody could have screwed
around with file protections). Make sure to check the permissions
on certain devices.

AT&T claim 9 users.  Could be.  I felt it was *VERY*
slow with one user.

Other impressions will take a few days to form.

Let me know (by e-mail) what you think of it.  I'll summarize,
of course.

(Would somebody at AT&T let me know how you could let a product out
the door wih glaring bugs  (you can get a panic dump from too
many interrupts in the window manager!)? )

The people from AT&T said they would "get back to me" on these
problems.  I tend to believe them....they really seemed to give a damn!
Maybe there will be decent product support??

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------
                           ^^^^^^^^^--->New and improved, with added zing!

"If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other,
 there better be no trade. A trade by which one gains and the other
 loses is a fraud."         --- Dagny Taggert