Problems with the 7300

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Fri May 10 04:49:25 AEST 1985

In article <166 at timeinc.UUCP> greenber at timeinc.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) writes:
>Escaping to shell (or forking to vi) from
>$ ls -lR / | more   (or ls -lR / | page)
>barfs out.  Funny error messages, some endless loops, etc.
>Looks like a piping problem.

Why would you want to vi the output of the ls command?  This is an old
bug in more that was fixed by 4.2BSD - it's execing vi with stdin set
to the pipe, so the output of ls is being taken by vi as keyboard commands.
More now beeps if you try to do something this silly.  I'm not sure what
pg does in SVR2.

>AT&T claim 9 users.  Could be.  I felt it was *VERY*
>slow with one user.

More specifically, the disk is slow, compared to the speed of everything
else.  CPU processes seem quite fast.  However, in a disk that small and
that inexpensive, you can't expect a lot of speed.

	Mark