Problems with the 7300

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Sun May 12 07:54:20 AEST 1985

> Now this machine only had 512K [...] with machines that were
> configured as such toys *UNLESS* they actually consider that to be
> what people will buy.

	The AT&T guys were vary careful to point out several times
during the presentation and in the Q&A that followed that for the type
of use most of the audience would have for the machine (i.e. program
development) that you should almost certainly only consider the
full-blown 2Mb RAM, 20Mb winnie system, with the optional utilities
package (C compiler, etc).  There was no hint of trying to deceive the
audience that the stripped down version would be satisfactory for the
intensive environment you seem to have in mind.

	BTW, I see nothing wrong with making the C compiler, and other
utilities optional as long as you make no secret of it.  If you don't
want them, you don't have to buy them.  If you do, you know what you are
getting into and how much the option will cost.

	My biggest complaint about the 7300 (I only played with it for a
few minutes; no serious shakedown, no real effort to learn how to take
advantage of its features) is that a large percentage of the screen is
wasted on the wide borders around the windows.  Screen area is at a
premium; why waste so much of it on 3/4" wide borders.

	My personal opinion is that as a stand alone it is probably
worth it, but I'd rather sink a few more $k into a diskless Sun.

--
allegra!phri!roy (Roy Smith)