Problems with the 7300

Ross M. Greenberg greenber at timeinc.UUCP
Mon May 13 23:07:24 AEST 1985

In article <228 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
(Quoting me)
>> Now this machine only had 512K [...] with machines that were
>> configured as such toys *UNLESS* they actually consider that to be
>> what people will buy.
>
>	The AT&T guys were vary careful to point out several times
>during the presentation and in the Q&A that followed that for the type
>of use most of the audience would have for the machine (i.e. program
>development) that you should almost certainly only consider the
>full-blown 2Mb RAM, 20Mb winnie system, with the optional utilities
>package (C compiler, etc).  There was no hint of trying to deceive the
>audience that the stripped down version would be satisfactory for the
>intensive environment you seem to have in mind.

I tend to disagree with you. I feel that a system that is buggy and
as slow as this system was/is should not be put out by AT&T.  Lets be
honest: weren't we expecting a machine that would blow your socks
off??   I mean, with AT&T coming out with a UNIX machine !!!

And then we get this toy with the caveat that if you want to do any
productive work, well then the machines that were brought to a
UNIX user group really aren't the ones for you.....you need the version
that they neglected to bring.

Corporate users of the 7300 still need decent response time, and a
(as much as possible) bug-free system.

And I really wasn't thinking of an "intensive environment".  I was
thinking about "normal" uses (whatever the heck that is!)

> [...]
>	My personal opinion is that as a stand alone it is probably
>worth it, but I'd rather sink a few more $k into a diskless Sun.

And therein is the problem:  how can we get corporate management to
accept UNIX in personal computers when we can't even reccommend the
7300 to them.  It would have been nice to have a machine so powerful
and inexpensive that the biggest problem would have been which of the
clones to choose from.  Do you see that happening?

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

	Timeinc probably wouldn't acknowledge my existence, and has
	opinions of its own.  I highly doubt that they would make me
	their spokesperson.
------
"If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other,
 there better be no trade. A trade by which one gains and the other
 loses is a fraud."         --- Dagny Taggert