Looks like AT&T is leaving DEC owners in the cold!

Joel West joel at gould9.UUCP
Sun Nov 24 09:21:01 AEST 1985

In article <2073 at aecom.UUCP>, naftoli at aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
> The upcoming releases of System V are no longer supporting DEC equipment.
> This includes System V release 2.1 (prerelease) and System V
> release 3.  AT&T is obviously trying to force DEC people to
> buy AT&T equipment.

This is pretty ludicrous, given that the largest purchaser of
DEC hardware in the world (with the exception of DoD) has
been AT&T Bell Labs.  To run, you guessed it, AT&T UNIX.

> Does anyone know if DEC will be supporting System V?

DEC's having enough trouble supporting BSD. :-)  Besides,
I've seen very little evidence that anyone wants System V
on a VAX, except:

	* AT&T sites
	* Sites involved in AT&T projects
	* Sites hosting a port of System V to another
	  computer

Maybe the answer is that nobody wanted it.  In some ways, that's
too bad; for example, once you've used System V's make on a large
project you'll never go back.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037