Q's on: System V /etc/init....

Case Computer Club ccc at cwruecmp.UUCP
Mon Nov 25 08:50:21 AEST 1985

In article <3004 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>> And you \always/ want filesystem checks when the system goes down; only
>> in a development environment where you are rebooting frequently can I
>> imagine any other choice, and in that environment something special can
>> be done.  My particular wrinkle was that if the file /down was present,
>> it was assumed that the system was taken down cleanly and the filesystem
>> checks were skipped.
>
>4.2BSD's "fastboot" script uses the file "/fastboot" for the same purpose.
>4.2BSD has a field in the superblock, "fs_clean", which, according to the
>comments in <sys/fs.h>, says "file system is clean".  This flag should be
>cleared on a "umount" after all the cached blocks and inodes have been
>written to the disk, and should be set as soon as a file system is mounted
>read/write.  "fsck -p" could then skip file systems with this flag set.
>Unfortunately, the 4.2BSD filesystem code doesn't do this.  I think later
>versions of S5 with the "file system hardening" may provide a similar flag.

The current release of System V Release 2 for 3B2's provides this flag
(called s_state).  There's also a program called 'fsstat' which examines
this flag and returns an appropriate status so the rc files can decide
whether or not to run fsck on the device.

					Carl Fongheiser
					...!decvax!cwruecmp!ccc
				   (or) ...!decvax!cwruecmp!happy!cmf
				   (or) cmf%happy at Case.CSNET
				   (or) cmf%happy%Case.CSNET at CSnet-relay.ARPA