Bourne shell modifications, past and future (long)

Clifford Spencer cspencer at bbncc5.UUCP
Sun Nov 17 08:32:07 AEST 1985

> > Out of curiosity, just why don't you want to put in command aliasing?
> It's there, called shell functions!  e.g.:
> 	l () { ls -FCs $* ; }
I think the most glaring difference between csh aliasing and
sys5 bourne shell functions is that the latter looks up builtins first.
This means you can't define functions that clash with shell commands.
On the other hand shell functions have a MUCH better syntax. Why not
move up the expansion of shell functions ahead of builtins at
the expense of not having recursive functions.
					-cliff
--
cliff spencer
{harvard, ihnp4, decvax}!bbnccv!cspencer