Bourne shell modifications, past and future

K. Richard Magill rich at rexago1.UUCP
Sun Nov 24 11:08:32 AEST 1985

In article <21 at pixdoc.UUCP> vsh at pixdoc.UUCP (Steve Harris) writes:
>> Out of curiosity, just why don't you want to put in command aliasing?
>It's there, called shell functions!  e.g.:
>	l () { ls -FCs $* ; }

I'd just like to point out that bourne shell ONLY reads .profile & that
shell functions do not export to subshells.  Thus, when I call shl from
my .profile (something vaguely akin to job control) all shell functions
go bye-bye.  (of course ksh addresses this quite nicely).

K. Richard Magill