Automatically logging in root

Steve Losen scl at uvacs.UUCP
Wed Nov 13 02:17:17 AEST 1985

I don't know how to automatically login as root.  Like the original poster,
I also like to be root only when necessary.

What I do is login as myself and then su to root.  In csh or ksh you can
stop the root shell with "suspend" and revert to your true identity.
(Your system must support job control for this) When you need root again,
just "fg" the stopped su (fast!).  I run ksh and have things set up so that
both shells use the same history file.  So when I get a "permission denied"
error on a long command, I can "fg" to my root shell, and re-do the
command from history.