students editing output

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Thu Sep 19 10:11:00 AEST 1985

In article <236 at uwai.UUCP> luner at uwai.UUCP writes:
>As an instructor, I view this as academic dishonesty.

The best response I've ever heard about academic dishonesty was
from a friend teaching English.  She discovered that some of her
students had copied their papers from Cliff's Notes or some other
such publication - either verbatim or very closely paraphrased.

She announced to the class that she'd discovered the plaigerisms,
and announced her policy:  If the authors owned up to the dishonesty,
they'd receive an F on that paper.  If not, they'd fail the course.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."