Setting TERM

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Thu Sep 12 02:43:41 AEST 1985

> > Any network (or port switch, or whatever) that isn't willing to tell you
> > the connectivity so you can get this information is broken.  Caveat emptor.
>
> I disagree with you strongly on this one, Henry:
> 1) Consider 1200 baud modems + the local phone company...

I never said there weren't a lot of broken networks in the world!  For
phones, the problem is pretty much unsolvable.  But that's the worst case,
not the typical one.

> 2) My desk has a couple of terminals on it, an IBM PC (sorry), a 3B2,
> 	and occasionally other stuff, and generally I trade out one box a
> 	month, not to mention periodically stealing my officemate's data
> 	cables.  Aside from that, the PC and the DMD 5620's I use all run
> 	terminal emulator programs...

He who keeps changing what's on his line should expect problems.  Most
people don't have quite such a dynamic situation.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology