uucp help needed

Bob Page page at ulowell.UUCP
Sat Jan 11 09:49:05 AEST 1986

We've had two VAX 750s running Ultrix V1.0 talking to each other for about
two months now, via 9600 baud serial line.  Yesterday I broke uucp between
them.  Here's how:
	(1) I installed an ethernet board (interlan) in 'frosh'.  It is
	    the first system to get an Ethernet connection -- nobody else
	    is on it yet but 'ulowell' (the other 750) and 'ibis' (the
	    gateway to our Apollo ring) will be on Ethernet next week.
	    The bootstrap saw the board as il0 but said 'can't interrupt'.
	(2) 'frosh' system had its name changed to 'emu'.

I edited /etc/hosts to look like:
127.1	localhost
1.1	ulowell		ul	# main gateway
1.2	emu		em	# freshman 750 in EC203
1.3	ibis		ib	# Apollo gateway

and /etc/networks to look like:
local	127	loopback	# local loopback
eth	1	birdnet		# U of Lowell CS Ethernet

I think I have changed all that I need to (as far as changing the node name)
with config, /bin/hostname, etc, as well as recreated the uuspool dirs for
the machine.  However, when 'ulowell' logs into 'emu' (it gets in OK),
emu kicks ulowell right back out to a login banner.  ERRLOG on emu says
ASSERT ERROR: (uucico) <mumble> BAD UID  (-1)
as a result.

I haven't received my Ultrix source tape yet, and the manual deosn't say
what BAD UID means.  What did I do, and how do I fix it?

Please send directly to me as our newsfeed IN has been broken for almost
a week now.

Thanks in advance -

..Bob
--
UUCP: wanginst!ulowell!page          Bob Page
ARPA: page at ulowell.CSNET             University of Lowell