Cshell within make

michael b maxwell michaelm at bcsaic.UUCP
Wed Jan 15 04:46:02 AEST 1986

Thanks to all who pointed out to me that the reason "make" refused to
use cshell in script files it called is that the first line of the script file
should read:
#!/bin/csh
--I had used:
#/bin/csh    incorrect!!

Strange, I couldn't find this in the documentation I have, although I probably
didn't look far enough.  Indeed, the documentation seemed to imply that *any*
comment starting at the first character of a file would cause the script
file to be run in csh, surely a strange practice...  And #/bin/csh worked
everywhere that I tried it, until I tried make.  (Leaving it out would
result in the same file being run by sh.)  Why is make different?

A few observed that "make" should look at the SHELL variable.  It doesn't on
our system (BSD 4.2), and a note today in news from Matthew P Wiener (of the
Math Dept at UCB) says that the line in "make" that checks SHELL is usually
commented out in the BSD version.  Anybody know why?

--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center