cshell within make

Rob Bernardo rob at ptsfb.UUCP
Mon Jan 13 23:51:38 AEST 1986

In article <125 at idacrd.UUCP> wiener at idacrd.UUCP (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
>> This is on BSD 4.2 (on a Sun, v.2.0...)
>> I have several script files written in csh syntax that perform some tests on
>> files.  I would like to invoke them from within 'make.'  The problem is that
>> make insists on using Bourne shell...this despite the fact that the first line
>> in the script file is #/bin/csh, and it runs in csh fine when it is called
>> interactively.
>
>Have your system manager recompile make: somewhere in the source is a
>line that checks your environmental variable $SHELL.  For some reason
>that line is usually commented out, even in BSD.

Once I had the "opposite" problem. I was using csh(1) as my login shell,
but the Makefile I often used required use of sh(1). I added the variable
definition

SHELL=/bin/sh

to the Makefile. This way, only the shell used by make(1) was affected,
leaving the environment of my login shell alone. This may be a different
version of make(1) than on the Sun/BSD 4.2, though, being something of a
SYSV Unix(tm) on a Convergent Technologies MegaFrame(tm).