rn again - seeing articles more than once

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Sun Jan 5 01:58:56 AEST 1986

In article <377 at ho95e.UUCP> wcs at ho95e.UUCP (Bill Stewart 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs HO 2G202) writes:
>In article <1609 at Shasta.ARPA> interran at Shasta.UUCP (John Interrante) writes:
>>Anyone else who see articles cross-posted to more than one group more than
>>once, i.e., in every group the article's posted to?
>Unfortunately, that's the way rn works.  If you're willing to give up
>rn's better features (killing discussions, for instance), you can
>either use vnews (a screen-oriented news reader) or readnews (the old
>but reliable dumb-terminal version), both of which only show a cross-
>posted article once.  Has anyone hacked rn to to this?

hmmm... I guess it's time for Larry to get back into his DeLorean...

rn ALREADY does this!  If the article is CORRECTLY cross-posted
it will only appear ONCE (to wit, spaf's newsgroup postings, I only
see them ONCE).  But if somebody posts the same article N times
to N newsgroups then it will be seen N times.  There is no software
that will fix that (er... at least not reasonable software).

--
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET, soon, david at uky.csnet.