rn again - seeing articles more than once

Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Mon Jan 6 09:06:14 AEST 1986

Someone had asked how to keep rn from showing articles multiple times,
and I replied "you can't".  Several people have sent mail or posted
articles saying I'm wrong.
In article <1730 at cbosgd.UUCP> mark at cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>If I'm not mistaken, the way rn detects cross-posted articles is
>to use the Xref header line.  This depends on a mod to inews to
>insert this header.  If your site hasn't made the mod, you won't
>get duplicates eliminated.
>	Mark

Well, I looked into the README file that comes with rn version 4.3,
and sure enough, there's a patch to inews for netnews versions 2.10.1
and 2.10.2 (2.10.3 supposedly has it built-in.)  So, if you want this
feature installed, go talk to your news administrator (except here at
ho95e, where I'm the news adminstrator :~).
			Thanks;
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs