Trouble with HP-UX 8-char login names

Matthew Schaefer schaefer at puff.UUCP
Fri Jan 31 11:14:13 AEST 1986

I am having problems with 8-character login names on an HP9836U running
HP-UX 2.1. If your login name is 8 characters, when you try to log in
and mistype the password, and then try it again, you can't log in until
someone else logs in. Also, if password aging is used to force a password
for new users (i.e. name:,..:etc...), a user with a login of 7 or less
characters gets "your password has expired, please choose a new one",
while 8 characters gets "your password has expired, permission denied".
Also, it seems that the external terminal does this more often than the
internal console terminal. Has anyone else ever experienced this or can
they speculate on the problem? If so, please mail me or post to
net.micro.hp.

Thanks in advance, Matt Schaefer.