Wanted: Special Editor

x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Fri Jan 31 11:58:07 AEST 1986

In article <2323 at burdvax.UUCP> vacca at burdvax.UUCP (Dave Vacca) writes:
>I do understand that UNIX addresses only the ASCII character
>set of values hex 00 through hex 7F.  Even so, I need an interactive editor
>which also allows me to embed within text the characters hex 80 through hex FF.
The problem isn't UNIX (though UNIX could make the job easier), it's
the particular editors you're using.  Both ed and vi squash the
high-bit and leave you with "Real ASCII" when they're finished.

>Does anyone know of such an editor (running on UNIX Sys V) which I could buy?
Most versions of EMACS will let you do manipulate files with the
high-bit turned on.  If you want to pay money, you can get Montgomery's
EMACS from AT&T (works well on System V), Gosling's emacs from
Unipress, or Zimmerman's emacs from CCA  ( I don't know  if the latter
two run on System V, or if they're Berkeley-only).  If you want free
and are willing to do some work, you can get GNU Emacs (go read
net.emacs) - it's probably been ported to System V by now, but it's big
and clunky and has every feature you've ever dreamed of but were afraid
to develop :-).

Alternatively, you can probably convince adb to do what you want.

--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs