Unix source and object control

Paul Schauble Schauble at mit-multics.arpa
Thu Jan 16 11:20:38 AEST 1986

Can anyone provide references for published descriptions of how the
standard source and object control techniques are used in Unix? I am
familiar with SCCS and make in isolation, but I don't know what other
pieces exist or how the whole process fits together. In particular, I
would like to know:

    - how one goes back from a dump to the sources that made up the
failing program, and

    - how one ties source changes back to the documents that motivated
the change.

This seems like an excellent topic for the Software Engineering list,
and I recommend that replies be copied there. I do not regularly read
info-Unix, so please mail that directly to me.

                    Thank you very much,
                    Paul