Clock synchronization for local hosts on a LAN

David Melman davem at sdcrdcf.UUCP
Fri Jan 10 03:48:47 AEST 1986

I am interested in implementing a clock synchronization scheme
for the hosts on our ethernet based LAN.

We have a Vax-780 running 4.2bsd and many Suns.

My off-the-cuff plan is:

Have the Vax poll each host clock via daemons and IPC communication,
statistically determine an average of the "good" clock times,
and reset all the host clocks to the newly calculated time.

Additionally, we are soon to gain an Arpanet connection.
This means we probably want to conform to accepted protocols.

If anybody has any experience or comments it would be greatly appreciated.

David Melman
uucp: sdcrdcf!davem