SIG_NUKE

E. Schwartz group schwrtze at acf8.UUCP
Wed Jan 1 02:26:00 AEST 1986

[]
This brings up a UNIX signal question:
>From: wmartin at brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin )
>Subject: "Nuclear Event Detector"
>Newsgroups: net.analog,net.misc

>I have gotten two ads in the mail so far for a product I find very
>strange. At first, I wondered if this was some kind of elaborate joke
>or hoax, but the product brochures are professionally done, utterly
>serious in tone, and seem to be completely legitimate. Yet, either I
>just have no concept of the engineering behind the product, or the thing
>really is completely incomprehensible.
>
>It is nothing much to look at -- a circuit in a multi-pin (round pin)
>package, and it is called the HSN-3000 High Speed Hybrid Nuclear Event
>Detector. The first brochure I got was titled "Certified Circumvention
>for Power Shutdown", and the second, largely similar, is titled,
>"Certified Circumvention for Processor Shutdown/Restart". The company
>making this is IRT Corporation, Electronic Systems Division, 3030 Callan
>Road, San Diego, CA 92121 (619) 450-4343, x 527. Their slogan is "The
>Experts in Nuclear Survivability".

Well whats the consensus: SIG_NUKE ?. When the NED (Nuclear Event Detect)
line goes low an 'event' has occured. My unix question is: Should SIG_NUKE be
catchable?. Maybe you might have time to start sync()ing the disks. What good
they will be is another issue.

Hedley Rainnie

hedley at alaya
cmcl2!alaya!hedley