Need unix command file HELP!

Stew Sutton sutton at aero.ARPA
Thu Jan 30 08:41:24 AEST 1986

We are looking for a utility that can, when given a arbitrary string,
can locate all occurences of that string anywhere on the system. Our
local Un*x gurus can't figure this out, so we are appealing to those out
in Netland to help us out.

We are looking for the command to work like this:

findstring this-is-the-string

The utility would return all the files (and their pathnames from the
root) to the screen. Of course if the protections on the file indicate
that the file cannot be read, the program should ignore that file and keep
on going. We think it can be done using a command file using the 'ls'
and 'awk' commands but we just can get it right.

Please send source code (or ideas on writing this code) to us and we
will post to net a summary of working code.

Thanks in advance.

sutton at aerospace.ARPA
{ihnp4!sdcrdcf,randvax,trwrb} ! aero ! sutton
sutton%aerospace.ARPA at WISCVM.BITNET