Suggestions for a good development machine wanted

x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Mon Jan 27 08:58:23 AEST 1986

In article <1362 at fisher.UUCP> djl at fisher.UUCP writes:
>> We are looking at a large software development project coming towards us, and
>> we need a suitable weapon with which to fight it.
>
>For these types of applications, I like the Symmetric s350,... a lot.
>You get...
>
>32000 full chip set machine, including 200,000 FLOPS fpu.  2 Mg. no
>wait state ram, 50 Mg. disk, 1.2 Mg. floppy, 4 serial ports that will
>do 38400 with n errors in k bytes where n is small and k is big enough.
>1 parrellel port, EtherNet interface, and the software.

Well, if you really must get a 4.2BSD machine instead of buying AT&T :-)
the Symmetric does look nice.  You can optionally get 8 Meg instead of 2,
and a 140 Meg disk instead of 50 Meg.  When I last talked to them,
they'd also replace the parallel port with an IEEE-488 GPIB bus

>All for the low, low price of $8950 prepaid or $9950 postpaid.  To boot,
>this thing is about 17x12x6 inches, and 20 lbs.  Carry it in one hand
>and your briefcase in the other.
The designers were obviously electrical engineers - it looks more like
a digital voltmeter than a computer.

--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs