ELXSI System 6400 .... Information needed

Robert Clayton rfc at calmasd.CALMA.UUCP
Tue Jun 17 01:59:20 AEST 1986

In article <203 at cybavax.UUCP>, paul at cybavax.UUCP (Paul Middlehurst) writes:
> Anyone out there had experience with the ELXSI System 6400?
>
> 	. How fast is it really?

Initially, they claimed 4X a VAX 780 for FORTRAN.  They improved their
compiler and claimed 6X.  They expanded their cache and claimed 7X.  In
a 10 processor test at Sandia Labs they got 10.1X the power of a single
processor.  Potential 80 MIP machine with a full complement of 12
processors.  64 bit processors.  6 processors fit in a cabinet the size
of a 780.  12 processors require two such cabinets with a necessarily
short cable joining the bus.  25 nsec bus, 50 nsec processors.

> 	. What of the SysV/4.2 ports?

Their Unix rides on top of their Message Based OS kernel.  Its System V.
I don't know of any 4.2 work, but by now, it's possible.

> 	. What support is available?

> 	. ... anything else you think I should know?

Their Gigabus is attractive with 200-300 MB/Sec capacity, and they
indicate a willingness to support special devices on it such as 100
MFLOP array processors.  64 MB/Sec I/O capacity and more if you need
it.

Price/MIP is comparable to VAX 8600.  Entry level price about 15%
above the 8600.

Gene Amdahl's Trilogy Corporation bought out Elxsi about a year ago.
Amdahl is now the head of the company.

The only machine I can think of that compares with the ELXSI in terms
of capacity is the IBM 3090 for 2-3X the price and Crays.  Their
market appears to be the "almost-super" computer market.

Bob Clayton
Calma, San Diego
(619) 587-3147