windows on normal terminals

#Bill_Stewart wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Sat Jun 28 02:28:38 AEST 1986

In article <1289 at psivax.UUCP> friesen at psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>In article <1362 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>this is definitely not so.  My DMD cost something like $4K plus
>
>	All fine and good, but this is *still* well above $1K, which
>is about all many employers(including mine) will spend for a
>terminal/workstation. So, until the price for a DMD equivalent is <
>$1K it will be necessary to put up with supporting 24X80 terminals! I

		<How can I pass up this one?>
I know of two Blit-like applications in the $1000-$1500 range.
One is the Atari-520ST software cartridge done at Univ.Toronto
(they turned it into a Blit, which can run real Blit binaries).
The other is PC-Layers, which runs on the AT&T 6300 (not on clones; it
depends on the high-resloution screen).
As far as I know, neither of these is a product, but the job is
definitely doable.  Both are limited by their 640x400 screens,
but worthwhile.

If you're not concerned about window size or bitmap graphics, it ought
to be possible to do layers communications on any cheap PC; a Commodore
64 is probably too slow, but an Atari 130 ought to be ok.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs