Favorite operating systems query

MKR mkr at mmm.UUCP
Sat Jun 21 05:50:42 AEST 1986

In article <339 at valid.UUCP> sbs at valid.UUCP (Steven Brian McKechnie Sargent) writes:
>I have some questions:
>
>	1) For the VMS fans out there: what's your favorite feature(s) of
>	   the system?  Why do you like it?  How does it help you?
>
>	2) Likewise UNIX and Multics fans.  (How do I get to a Multics
>	   site?  I'm not on the MILnet...)

	I am somewhat enamoured of UNIX, although I currently use VMS for
most of my work. I tend to dislike VMS as much as I like UNIX, but I didn't
come here for a religious argument. (One jab - VMS users love to point out
that VMS commands are English. That always struck me as meaningless when
I can't remember *which* English word gets rid of a file - let's see... is
it DELETE, REMOVE, PURGE, KILL, or what? How do I look at the contents...
is it PRINT, TYPE, SHOW, LIST, DISPLAY, OUTPUT, CAT (heh heh) or what?)

	Anyway, what I wanted to point out was that if you want to learn
all about UNIX, go to B. Dalton's or the equivalent. You can find row after
row of books explaining UNIX, most of which do the job just fine. I wanted
to learn more about VMS, and all I could find were the DEC manuals. Yechh!
I find it hard to throw the 5 or 6 large binders I need into my briefcase
to take them home for easy reading, even if the company would let me. And
I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out a coupla grand to get my own copies.
Nahhh - I'll take UNIX anyday.

	--MKR