converting sh scripts to C code

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Jun 29 15:09:19 AEST 1986

In article <2801 at teddy.UUCP> jpn at teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>No problem, I just plunk down $40000 dollars for a SVR2 source licence
>(I can't buy a binary, the binary won't run on my machine), figure out
>how to extract the source for sh from the distribution tape (My system
>doesn't HAVE cpio, yet that is how AT&T insists on distributing), then
>throw the rest of the tape away.  SURE.  I am also in need of a bridge
>in brooklyn.

Don't be silly.  If you already have some UNIX source license, the
upgrade cost to SVR2 was typically much less than the $43,000 initial
source CPU license-from-scratch fee.  If you are running a UNIX box
that is binary-sublicensed by some vendor, then get the vendor to
supply the newer shell; many vendors (e.g., Sun) are doing this.
VARs are likely to find UNIX System V sublicensing terms more favorable
than whatever they might have started out with (UNIX 32/V, whatever);
I don't know of any major UNIX system vendors that aren't licensed
for UNIX System V (I have copies of their licenses!).

As to cpio, if you're source-licensed for it, I could send you the
source code so you could read the distribution tapes.

It isn't AT&T's fault that you chose to run a weak, obsolete,
poorly supported implementation of UNIX.