gripes about /bin/sh AND /bin/csh

Craig Jackson dricej at drilex.UUCP
Wed Jun 18 11:29:33 AEST 1986

I think that the point of Phil's original article has been lost: there exist
other operating systems, with other command languages, which can do certain
common things in a more straitforward way than either /bin/sh or /bin/csh.
I think the reading from more than one file at once is a good example; I
hadn't thought of the solution using multiple descriptors; and I've rtFm many,
many times.  In fact, I rtFm for /bin/sh every time I write more than a
two-line routine.  As for /bin/csh, I've never been able to spare the mental
space to remember them both at once.

To reiterate my heresy: there are nicer command languages than the Unix shells.
(REXX is a nice one, even though it does come from Satan.:-))
--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard,linus}!axiom!drilex!dricej