gripes about /bin/sh AND /bin/csh

Christopher Young cycy at isl1.ri.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:13:24 AEST 1986

Personally, I agree with Karl; read the manual. Also, there exist fairly
good tutorials which cover a reasonable amount of material on various subjects
related to UNIX. "In Introduction to the UNIX Shell", by S.R. Bourne, while
old (1978), isn't a bad place to begin. It is part of the standard
documentation set.

But what I think really ticked off Karl, and what got to me, was the tone of
Phillip's initial query. He know's nothing about UNIX, nothing about either of
the two shells he was concerned about, and yet he went off on a rampage about
illusory inadequacies on them. It struck me as rather insulting. I was
a UNIX consultant at the computer center of my old university for three years,
and I always hated having to deal with people who approached me like that. I
didn't like it inperson, and I certainly don't think it's very nice on the net
too. I understand Phillip's note was probably born of frustration, but still...

					-- Chris Young.
arpa: cycy at cmu-ri-isl1
uucp: {...![arpa/uucp gateway (eg. ucbvax)]}!cycy at cmu-ri-isl1