Favorite operating systems query

Leo Wilson leo at sunybcs.UUCP
Fri Jun 20 13:48:33 AEST 1986

I really wanted to just spectate on this one...

The real problem with VMS is that it takes !screwdrivers and wrenches!
to install it.  I don't even see it as really being a *software* product
(from a consumer's point of view) unless it is available for all my
current and future hardware.

VMS is really a GREAT os, with lots lots of plusses and only (count 'em)
ONE detractor: It's locked into a single vendor's hardware. (Oh, yeah,
expensive hardware, and pretty much state of two years ago's art, too.)

Oh, I have my druthers & UNIX answers lots more of them than VMS does,
but as far as I can see VMS has UNIX whipped all to hell in any work
environment other than ed or r&d.  I have been looking, too. I'll
never actually USE it, tho, until I have the option to buy other companies'
*competitively* priced hardware.

How about it, DEC, turn VMS into purely a software product and "remember
UNIX" will become ONE word!

Trademarks: UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T
            VMS is a registered trademark of Digital Equiptment Corp.
            DEC is probably a trademark of Digital Equiptment Corp.
            (if i left anyone out, sue me & i'll move out of the
            country before it gets to court.)