Favorite operating systems query

stevem at fai.UUCP stevem at fai.UUCP
Fri Jun 20 13:40:40 AEST 1986

In article <452 at geowhiz.UUCP> larry at geowhiz.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>In article <339 at valid.UUCP> sbs at valid.UUCP (Steven Brian McKechnie Sargent) writes:
>>
>>	1) For the VMS fans out there: what's your favorite feature(s) of
>>	   the system?  Why do you like it?  How does it help you?
>
>I think that the main complaints with Unix from VMSites are
>
>1)
>9)

I thought it was an excellent list Larry, with one omission (the problem
I'm grappling with now). DEC has over the years developed an excellent
layered system of hardware and software that allows the addition of more
machines without putting one bunch of users off by themselves on a separate
machine.  In fact to the users, Vax-clustering makes many machines look like
one.  There's no graceful way with UNIX to add a machine and not find that
you have to segregate some users from others.

		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)

		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem  or !ihnp4!pesnta!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.