4BSD is dead???

bsteve at gorgo.UUCP bsteve at gorgo.UUCP
Mon Jun 16 15:37:00 AEST 1986

["No Emily, it is VIOLENCE, not violins...". "Oh, well that's very different."]
["Never mind."]

Lets get it all straight. CMU has an implementation of a modularized os kernel
that is inspired by UNIX and its numerous parents. They have separated the the
execution path of a process into a task (consisting of pieces atomic to the
processor) and an execution thread. It currently (MACH-1) offers source level
compatibility with 4.3BSD UNIX. This may not always be there..., it is there
now as a building block. Ultimiatly the project should yield an OS for the
distributed / parallel processing environment that includes those things that
people have learned over the past few years and have often put into UNIX.
That's it. 4BSD isn't dead, it has reproduced.

EDITORIAL COMMENTARY - I don't think that we should utterly dump 4BSD.
On the other hand, if marry it then we are just like the JCL lectroids,
ignoring new ideas and clinging to what we already know.

  Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
  ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!bsteve
  attmail!sblasingame

  (This is obviously purely my own opinion)