4BSD is dead???

mwm at eris.berkeley.edu mwm at eris.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 21 19:14:10 AEST 1986

In article <13200008 at gorgo.UUCP> bsteve at gorgo.UUCP writes:
>Lets get it all straight.

Hi steve. Not a bad idea; sorry I have to correct you.

>CMU has an implementation of a modularized os kernel
>that is inspired by UNIX and its numerous parents. They have separated the the
>execution path of a process into a task (consisting of pieces atomic to the
>processor) and an execution thread.

Correct so far.

>It currently (MACH-1) offers source level compatibility with 4.3BSD UNIX.

First, the MACH kernel I have says "MACH/4.3/2.1" (or something
similar, I don't have a console log handy :-) when it boots. Second,
it is not merely source compatible with 4.3, it's BINARY compatible. I
copied a MACH kernel onto a 4.3 system, rebooted, and found nothing
wrong (ps worked, etc.). Nothing got recompiled.

I expect this to compatability to stay in the system, but not being a
MACH developer, can't say for sure.

	<mike