converting sh scripts to C code

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sun Jun 29 09:17:31 AEST 1986

In article <2801 at teddy.UUCP>, jpn at teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:

>In article <6854 at utzoo.UUCP> henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>if you have a modern shell (the ancient Bourne shell that comes with 4BSD
>>does not qualify), you may not see all that much improvement.
>>If you are not running the SVR2 sh or equivalent, you need to upgrade
>>your shell.  Only after that is accomplished is it worth considering
>>conversion to C, in my opinion.
>No problem, I just plunk down $40000 dollars for a SVR2 source licence
>(I can't buy a binary, the binary won't run on my machine), figure out
>how to extract the source for sh from the distribution tape (My system
>doesn't HAVE cpio, yet that is how AT&T insists on distributing), then
>throw the rest of the tape away.  SURE.  I am also in need of a bridge
>in brooklyn.
>At least an sh to C converter program is AVAILABLE at a sane price.
>I sure wish AT&T had a more lenient licensing/upgrade policy.

I cannot speak for /bin/sh but however ksh (superset of Bourne, many bells
and whistles, almost as efficient as SysV Bourne) is available as source
for approximately $2000 (non AT&T sites) and will compile under a number of
BSD variants as well as SysV.  It was authored by David Korn of Bell Labor-
atories (ulysses!dgk).  Korn himself posted a notice to this effect in
net.unix-wizards [I think] some time ago.