windows on normal terminals

David Keppel keppel at pavepaws.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 11 00:27:23 AEST 1986

In article <7 at hrc63.UUCP> nwh at hrc63.UUCP (Nigel Holder Marconi) writes:
>> [ terminals will be much better/bigger/faster/higer-resolution  soon ]
>
>   So - do we all sit around for a few years twiddling out thumbs or
>wait in queues to get at those lovely bitmapped screens that are slowly
>appearing in large enough numbers around us.  I can't wait until
>these grotty 24 line things dissappear - its really a case of what
>can I do with what I've got TODAY !

    I also said that I thought it was difficult to use a number of
    the windowing systems on a 24 line terminal, because your windows
    got *so* small.  There actually are a number of windowning systems
    around for normal terminals under *NIX.

>Anyway, writing a windowing
>system has taught me quiet a bit about 4.2 that I wouldn't
>normally be exposed to - so I'm happy all the same.

    Yes I'd thought about writing one, but this education doesn't address
    the original poster who was asking for somebody else to go to work so
    that we could all benefit.  OK, so can anybody give a reference to
    one of the windowing systems that's available public-domain
    somewhere?  If nobody can find one, perhaps Nigel would be so kind
    as to post his to net.sources...

>Nigel Holder			UK JANET:       yf21 at uk.co.gec-mrc.u
>Marconi Research,		ARPA:           yf21%u.gec-mrc.co.uk at ucl-cs
>Chelmsford,
>Essex. CM2 8HN.

    :-D avid  K eppel				    ..!ucbvax!pavepaws!keppel
		"Learning by Osmosis: Gospel in, Gospel out"