sh changes

John Bruner jdb at mordor.ARPA
Fri Jun 20 05:04:02 AEST 1986

I am delighted that Sun 3.0 uses the System V shell.  (Shell functions
on my Sun at last!)  However, it is not completely compatible with the
previous shell.  For instance, the Berkeley-added "limit" command is
not implemented.   The interpretation of "<<-", while very useful,
may also break some old command files.

I've run into problems with large shell variables in "sh" on
Sun 3.0; however, I can't pin down the exact difficulty.  [It is
really bizarre.  It runs fine on our 4.3BSD VAXes and Sun 2's but
fails sometimes in 3.0.  The old Sun 2 shell works in Sun 2.0
and fails in Sun 3.0 in the same way.  The 4.3BSD shell, compiled
on the Sun 3's, fails in the same way.  There seems to be some
dependence upon the directory in which a small set of the commands
is run -- sometimes I can make it run by finding the "right"
directory -- but there is no discernable pattern to this.]
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb at mordor [jdb at s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758