windows on normal terminals

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Tue Jun 17 11:09:02 AEST 1986

> In addition, no engineer spends 100% of his/her time hacking. In
> fact, most studies show that only about 5-10% of a typical product
> engineer's time is spent doing coding. The rest is meetings, reports,
> etc. etc. During the time no hacking is occuring, that $9K capital
> investment is basically idle and losing money for the company.

One can also argue that during the time no hacking is occurring, the
$xxxxx/year investment inside the engineer's head is basically idle and
losing money for the company.  I.e., that 5-10% factor is a bug, not
a feature.  To quote Peter Drucker:

	"Meetings are by definition a concession to deficient
	organization.  For one either meets or one works.  One
	cannot do both at the same time... There will always be
	more than enough meetings.  Organizations will always
	require [lots of] working together...  But if [people]
	in an organization spend more than a fairly small part
	of their time in meeting, it is a sure sign of
	malorganization... meetings should never be allowed to
	become the main demand on [a professional's] time."
	[The Effective Executive, p. 44-45 -- highly recommended.]
--
Usenet(n): AT&T scheme to earn
revenue from otherwise-unused	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology