Looking through other users' (unprotected) files

David M. Brown dmb at morgoth.UUCP
Fri Oct 24 04:56:18 AEST 1986

[]

It occurs to me that whenever you have a shared resource (ie, disk
space), you have entered the domain of politics.  There are several
ways to deal with this.  One is anarchy (anyone may do whatever s/he
is able to do).  In a system in which there are no controls, it is
impossible to totally prevent this mode of politics from occurring.
My favorite way of dealing with political situations is to use the
concepts of etiquette and convention.  An example of etiquette is
'using only what you need.'  An example of convention is 'it is
permissible to read files for which you have read permission.'

Essentially, it is all wrapped up in the word "permission."  By
setting the appropriate _read_ _permission_ on your files and
directories, you are giving me _permission_ to read them.  Novices
will learn.

dmb at morgoth

Dave Brown
GZA