Ultix to VMS file/mail link wanted (DEC;VMS;ULTRIX;UUCP)

Larry Campbell campbell at maynard.UUCP
Sun Oct 26 22:55:52 AEST 1986

In article <3213 at cuae2.UUCP> cjs at ncoast.UUCP writes:
>My site needs to link our VAX 750 w/ Ultrix to our VMS cluster...we
>don't need the bandwidth of ether net, just file transfer (sharing would
>be nice) and mail.  Does anyone know of less expensive methods to link
>our systems (exluding kermit)?  We can budget up to about 2k$ for the
>link.  We would be happy to use uucp until something better comes along.
>Does anyone know of a uucp system for VMS?  Or something similar?

I don't know how much DEC charges for a DECnet license, but I don't think
it's significantly more than $2K.  It would obviously be nicer running
over an Ethernet (are there any VAXes in the world without Ethernet??),
but it will run over a serial line if that's all you've got.  You get
file transfer, remote login, and mail -- DEC has hacked up sendmail so
it talks to VMS mail, so you can easily put up a gateway between VMS-land
and UNIX-land.
--
Larry Campbell       MCI: LCAMPBELL          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
UUCP: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!campbell      120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109