IBM (VM) to UNIX communications

Gary Clark gjc at datlog.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 22:38:01 AEST 1986

I have been asked to investigate the possibility of connecting
our Vax 11/750 running System V.2, to our in house IBM machine,
which runs VM.  We have an asynch controller for the IBM machine,
as well as 3270 emulators avialable (via a PABX), and the vax
has a DHU-11 mutliplexor.   The IBM machine does not run a version
of IX/370 (or any other type of Unix for that matter).

What we are looking to do is to have some reliable mechanism (like
uucp on a good day) to transfer files between the two machines, over
a serial, asynchronous connection preferably.
I realise that porting UUCP is a possiblity, but likely to be quite
difficult due to the problems of emulating the UNIX system calls etc.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on this matter.
I am interested in anything! From pointers to documents which
cover this sort of issue, or indeed to any products
or source (either commercial or PD) which already implement such
a system.

To carry this further,  my ultimate aim is to interface to the
IBM PROFS system (PRofessional Office System) which handles email,
memos, document preparation etc.  Has anyone out there tread along
this path already?  Again any help in this area will be most
gratefully received.

As always, if there is sufficient interest, I will summarise the
replies to the net.
--
Regards,
	    Gary Clark

EMAIL:	<gjc at datlog.co.uk> or < ... !mcvax!ukc!{stc,stl}!datlog!gjc >
MAIL:	Data Logic Ltd., Queens House, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 1YR, UK.
PHONE:	+44 1 863 0383 (x2210)